March 31 2019

Digital Design Log #9

The fifth step of the ASSURE model is to “require learner participation” which is something that I think needs to be done throughout every other step and throughout the whole process.  For an activity to be effective, students should be engaged in the material that the instructor is teaching.  I don’t think this week’s activity really aligned to my model as well as the previous activities we’ve done. This week was focused a lot on feedback and iteration, whereas the ASSURE model focuses on learners participation in the learning material.  The sixth stage of the ASSURE model “evaluate and revise” is the stage where gathering student feedback is present to see if objectives were met and whether their learning experience was positive or negative. However, I can see a few connections because in order for the learners to participate, they need to be actively engaged, which requires them to fully appreciate and value the lesson. I think by gathering feedback BEFORE revising the lesson is important and this is where I don’t fully agree with the ASSURE model. In order to “fix” or improve the lesson, you need to take the students’ opinions and viewpoints into consideration to construct an effective and engaging lesson. This week’s activity left out the requirement of student participation because we didn’t come up with a plan/layout of how exactly that could be done to engage students in both the class level and individual level.

Posted March 31, 2019 by jeb717 in category Uncategorized