Blog #7 – Non-obvious Corporate & NGO Assumptions, Evaluating Hypothesis

Our project does not entail courting to a specific customer, but instead to two main stakeholders of which being corporations, and Non-Governmental Organization. As such there are a plethora of assumptions that are not obvious, when looking objectively. When considering our purpose, which is analyzing the interactions between corporations and NGO’s and the implementation of corporate social responsibility, we overlook a variety of categories. Companies big picture purpose is to produce profits, and in light of CSR, corporate operations and business structures are there priority. As we have investigated in recent one of the largest issues among CSR is the resource allocation on behalf of the corporation. Even though companies that are giving to CSR are muli-million and billion dollar corporations many don’t meet the required staffing outlined by the government and law. In many cases companies give such tasks to their PR department or other unspecific staffing both violating suggested guidance by the law, and truly mismanaging amounts that could greatly impact the Indian community. As we interact and look for corporations, we would like to address such issues in our guide and recommendations we intend to develop through our end product.

Furthermore another non-obvious assumption people don’t entertain are the marketing strategies. While CSR is mandated by the government, a large portion of the population is unaware, such misinformation allow companies to promote there CSR ventures and funding. One example, that we viewed was non-governmental Corporate Social Responsibility awards. When researching such awards, our team discovered new and old CSR awardee organizations across the nation. Alarmingly such organizations were funded by companies themselves, and or were sponsored by allied organizations. Most shockingly when analyzing selection process, companies were required to submit themselves, write their own evaluation and tens of thousands of rubles. This was mind boggling, and continue to comprehend such factors which could compromise our own research efforts.

Another non-obvious factor among companies are there strategic positions across their locations, business operations and methods of business. This compromises in part there intentions for CSR, but I must point out that such factor as is the following assumptions are circumstantial. In addition, another non-obvious assumption would be corporate culture, as in the majority pressures and toxic environments such as hierarchy such as the caste system in India plays roles among choosing staffing. Among corporations a final item that influences corporations would be nepotism largely influenced by the caste and other societal foregrounds. While the caste system is promoted as uninfluential factor across India, such items are of the most prevalence across communities and continues to be a dividing factor.

When executing CSR efforts another essential stakeholder is Non-Governmental Organizations especially those under our context, focused across India. One non-obvious assumption when considering NGO’s would be there mission to survive. When I consider my own background in the non-profit sector, while executing the respective organization mission, a priority is often swayed towards fiscal goals and continuity efforts. It is not to say that such actions are perceived negative, but a form of importance is given to money being raised in order to continue their mission and efforts. Another scarce assumption to consider among NGO’s would be corporate influences, and possible coercion. Extracting from my own experience, and research in relation to relationships between NGO’s and corporations in India, there is often collusion. While illegal, recent scandals have exposed a variety of corruption and unequal treatment and collusion from corporations. In sum these non-obvious assumptions will be important when we evaluate proper NGO and corporate relationships as well as developing guidelines the government and other stakeholders can use to better hold themselves accountable.

When discussing my groups field work, we have developed a range of hypothesis we intend to measure. 1) Companies have wide influence among NGO’s missions and work. 2) Companies have met all CSR guidelines entailed by the legislative body 3) Recommendations by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs have been implemented on behalf of all stakeholders 4) Companies have dedicated CSR board’s and staffing 5) Corporate and publicity strategy plays a role when companies decide there CSR recipients 6) India’s development and national sustainability goals influence corporate and NGO interests 7) Cultural sways such as the caste system clearly don’t impede CSR efforts 8) Rural regions are less resourced through CSR than urban areas 9) Location of companies influence CSR fund distribution, and categories “backed” 10) Government executes limited oversight among corporate and NGO CSR implementation, and accountability.

When evaluating my strengths, I continue to bring a perspective of logicality and reasoning. This can best be show when in class group projects, as many of my peers often have ambitious and unrealistic goals I often burst the bubble but I can always use such intentions as foundations. When reflecting on this class, I think I have on the contrary developed a sense of optimism and imagination. Largely influenced by case studies and the foundation the class has set, I have grown among my creative inquiry and grown upon an outside the box process. Ultimately, I am very excited to continue this course in the fall, and in addition travel abroad to analyze CSR and all stipulations and theory’s conversed up till now.