Training Mode

Today’s events featured malaria, a meeting with one of World Hope’s top administrators and lots of training….. along with a near-death experience. I’m sitting here writing this blog post STILL trying to catch my breath from a whirlwind day, so away we go!

When Hassan came into the World Hope office today, he explained to us that he was just recovering from contracting malaria the previous day. He told us he had been bed-ridden, but after taking some medicine and staying in bed, he was ready for whatever we were prepared to throw at him. Naakesh, Zach and Rohan spent a good chunk of the day running through a mock training session with Hassan, in which members of the Ukweli team ran through an example training session before Hassan practiced running one back to the team himself. Hassan even surprised us by coming in with several pages of notes which documented research he had conducted regarding preeclampsia and the symptoms and complications that can arise from the condition.

Picture 1. Scenes from the rainy season in Sierra Leone. 

Meanwhile, Sage, Cassidy and I took a trip to the market downtown to scout out some of the supplies we need to purchase for Hassan to get him started when we launch Ukweli. We created a shopping list of sorts, which included ledger notebooks, pens, and clean cups for urine, among other items. We had pretty good luck finding the items on our list and getting a gauge on the cost of these supplies. Besides a minor detour in which we had to hide under the roof in an alley due to a storm that turned walkways into rivers, all was going well…. until IT happened. We were buying some food in the market area when one car began honking behind us for the crowds to disperse to let it through. ‘ok,’ I thought. ‘I don’t know why cars are allowed through this narrow, pedestrian-heavy road, but whatevs, I’ll move.’ But then, much to my horror, a SECOND car started driving down the opposite side of the road, trying to get through, get past the crowds and get past the oncoming car. CHAOS. The drivers began honking at both each other and the crowds swarming either side of the market, and I dared to look down to find one of the car’s wheels mere inches away from my feet. Trapped with nowhere to go, me, Cassidy and Sage eyed each other, wondering if we would make it out of that mess by some miracle. Somehow, someway, the drivers screeched past each other, and here I am able to write this blog post. Why is that entire area not pedestrian-only? These are the answers I will never know. Truly an experience, but I won’t tell lies: I was scared.

Picture 2. A NEMS ambulance from a clinic last week. You can see this size of car should not fit in a one-lane road.

We arrived back from our adventure at the market to discover Saidu, the country director of World Hope in Sierra Leone, was in the Makeni office and ready to meet with the Ukweli team. We had a productive conversation about the logistics of our venture, including contract details for Hassan and discussing how transportation and phone costs could work if resources are shared between the Lehigh team and World Hope.

Picture 3. Loki, the sweet World Hope puppy.

Tomorrow, I am hoping the team can purchase the supplies for Hassan, continue with Hassan’s training and for the universe to balance our bad karma in the market with a happy surprise, like the approval of Ukweli’s marketing license. But worst comes to worst, I know I will be in for some quality insights from Naakesh based on his reading of the business paper. Just when you think you’re bored here in Sierra Leone, that’s EXACTLY when adventure strikes 🙂

Picture 4. off a dirt road next to a clinic in Rokulan.