9/9 – “Social Psychological Aspects 0f Computer-Mediated Communication”

Computer-mediated communication (CMC) is defined as any type of communication made between humans using two or more technological devices.

In Social Psychological Aspects of Computer-Mediated Communication, Sara Kiesler, Jane Siegal and Timothy McGuire show how people participate in CMC and how computerization affects group efforts to come together.

In this 1984 report, they are able to show the impact of CMC’s on different groups. It can lead them to think a certain way through “choice-dilemma” issues. Looking through their research, it seems as if their study was extremely ahead of its time. Many of the questions they propose such as: “Does communication through text alone reduce coordination of communication?” and “​​What might be the outcome for real groups that have to deal with technical, political, and organizational tasks?” are still very applicable to today. With all their information and research provided, along with their personal insight, makes the information provided seem extremely valid.

One thought on “9/9 – “Social Psychological Aspects 0f Computer-Mediated Communication”

1. I also read this article and I completely agree with the point that it is incredibly ahead of its time – I also mentioned it in my blog post. I found the questions they posed throughout the article very compelling given when it was written. As I said in my post, I think it would be interesting for this study to be conducted today to see the differences in results from then to now. Perhaps there are no differences but because we are evolving at the same (or perhaps a slower) rate than technology, it is possible that these results differ because communication may be much easier in the CMC format now than it was in the 1980s.