Caleigh Avramis- The Social Network

The Social Network, directed by David Fincher, recounts the origins of Mark Zuckerberg and Eduardo Saverin creating the widely known social platform Facebook. It discusses how Zuckerberg adopted this idea of a social platform where friends and family could interact virtually, from the Winklevoss twins. When the platform begins to gain popularity, the Winklevoss twins are shocked that their idea has been taken and they have been given no credit. They serve Zuckerberg with a lawsuit, but he still remained the owner of the social media site. Towards the end of the movie, Saverin also sues Zukerberg for giving him a small share of the company, even though he was a cofounder.

The first things I noticed in this movie was how simplistic yet brilliant this platform was. Although others had ideas about creating this social media, Zuckerberg was the first person to revolutionize this idea. Through this application, he was able to transform the way people on the internet interact with each other. He created the first platform that was easy to understand and effectively allowed people virtually interact with each other. This was the stepping stones for so many of the applications we’ve created today, that completely shape the way people live their lives now. This platform signified a dependency on the use of social media in the future generations. In this day in age, we have become so reliant on this use of communication and this was started through the creation of Facebook.

Another things I noticed in this movie is how much it made me dislike Zuckerberg. No one can take away from his intellect and genius to successfully create a multi-million dollar social media platform. However, in a psychological aspect, I extremely disliked his way about going through this process. It seemed like he was incredibly money hungry and disinterested in giving others credit where it was due.

Overall, although I am not a huge fan of Zuckerberg and his professional choices. I have to credit him for revolutionizing the way we use the internet today and the way we experience communication. We live in a day in age where we are heavily reliant on social media to connect with people throughout the day. I believe that we wouldn’t have come as far as we did without Zuckerberg creating those first steps into the life of social media platforms.