10/21: Elon Musk – Falyn Goldstein

In Maynard’s Elon Musk’s Tesla Bot Raises Serious Concerns, details on Elon Musk’s humanoid robot are discussed. As Elon Musk has shifted the AI technological world, he is now planning to create and roll out a Tesla Bot for everyday needs.

This Tesla Bot, standing at 5 ft 8 inches and 125 pounds, will follow Tesla’s AI systems and autopilot technologies to follow routes, navigate traffic, and avoid obstacles. While this article references concerns about robot uprisings as seen in I, Robot and Terminator, Maynard discusses that the main cause for concern should be the intent behind these humanoid robots. Additionally, there may be threats to privacy or misalignment in regards to ethics from coded AI software that are implemented in the bot. There are important possibilities to consider prior to the everyday usage of these machines, and humans must consider the long-term risks and challenges that may require more thinking.

I find this topic to be eerie while futuristic at the same time. While yes, there have been progressions made in humanoid robots that can complete basic tasks, I believe that we as a society are extremely far off from these humanoid robots from fully existing amongst us. Musk ideally wants to achieve an interplanetary species with machines and humans equally represented, however, I think humans will always dominate and keep control over robot capabilities. Hollywood movies do poke fun at robot uprisings and because of all the recent attention and negative portrayal in film, I think humans are a lot more skeptical to implement these types of technologies.