11/4 COVID-19 vs Social Isolation: The Impact Technology can have on Communities, Social Connections and Citizens – Cherry

In “COVID-19 vs Social Isolation: The Impact Technology can have on Communities, Social Connections and Citizens”, Hannah Marston, Charles Musselwhite and Robin Hadley applied different examples to demonstrate the life after UK Government suggested not undertake unnecessary activities. In different scenarios, technology was used to support residents “with various needs, health complaints as well as maintaining a community mindset and ethos.”

Authors mentioned that people who already have a social media account such as Facebook, could still chat to their friends during COVID time. On the other hand, people who did not have access to Internet can use a telephone or mobile phone to communicate. It is important to maintain social connections during the special time since reducing the risk of loneliness and social isolation are vital to one’s health and wellbeing. Also, it is impressive to hear about the dog account bring light relief and a smile to someone who maybe feeling “a little low, overwhelmed and anxious about their own health and that of their family”. People are likely to feel anxiety, self-isolation or meaningless during pandemic, and many accounts on social media encouraged them and gave them motivation to move on. I really appreciate these accounts and people behind them. The article also talked about topics such as disabled adults, childlessness, and baby boom, which might be neglect by the society.

I have the similar experiences as the article mentioned. Facebook group enables information to be shared across the community, and this reminded my experience in my neighborhood, where people helped each other and spread useful information. I also felt connected when I read that people “start to share various types of information, leisure activities and ways of alleviating boredom”. In the quarantine time, I found that people figured out many novel ways to exercise at home and shared the video online. Also, some learn how to cook in this special time. People just gave themselves something to do to alleviate boredom and make fun.